Working out does not have to be painful. In fact, even a challenging workout should leave you feeling good, not in pain. Follow these 5 tips to be sure you get the most out of your routine.
- Warm up properly. Start with an active warm-up where your whole body is moving for at least 8-10 minutes or when you break a good sweat. You are bringing blood to the soft tissues of your body and organs and letting them know it is time for exercise so get ready! Motion is lotion...when your joints are in motion, the body begins to lubricate the joint surfaces to prevent friction and breakdown.
- Don't lock out your joints. This places undue stress on your joints and can cause chronic injuries such as arthritis. No fun!
- Maintain good posture and balance/symmetry throughout the entire exercise. I recommend following a C3 Workout from this site or watching one of the technique videos on our GrooveAnywhere YouTube channel. As you learn, it's a good idea to practice next to a mirror so you have a side view of your form, which will help you perfect proper posture with each exercise.
- Pain is not Gain. You should not feel pain, especially sharp pain, during exercise. If you do, stop and adjust your posture and try again. If you still feel pain then stop the exercise immediately.
- Don't overdo it! The whole point of exercising is you want to make this a lifestyle change and continue to do this indefinitely. Well, you can't if you injured and you won't if you overdo it and make yourself so sore you can't move. Keep your exercise experience a pleasant one!